Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Case Management office located?

Student Resources and Support Services
Office of Case Management and Victim Support Services
Lavin-Bernick Center (LBC) Garden Level, Suite G02
(504) 314-2160

Who is eligible for case management?

All Tulane students are eligible for case management services. When a student is referred, the Case Manager will meet with them to assess the student's needs and, with the student's input, determine the frequency of on-going case management.

What does a Case Manager do?
  • Meets with individual students who are struggling with any number of academic and non-academic issues;
  • With the student, assesses the type of resources and supports needed;
  • Assists students in accessing services, both on-campus and in the community;
  • Works with students to develop or strengthen their support systems and self-advocacy skills and works with the student to remove barriers to success;
  • Exploration of and referral for behavioral health concerns;
  • Alcohol/drug referrals and coordination;
  • Crisis prevention and intervention;
  • Problem and conflict resolution;
  • Help managing multiple or complex medical needs;
  • Medical withdrawal and re-entry coordination;
  • Hospitalization coordination and post-hospitalization support.
Are case management services confidential?

The information shared with the Case Manager does not fall under the same confidentiality levels of a healthcare provider or psychotherapist/counselor. Every effort is made to protect your privacy and the information discussed will only be shared in the context of assisting the student. The Case Manager will share information on a need-to-know basis. In order to coordinate services, written releases of information are signed by the student, when necessary.

Case management services are considered private and are governed by the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Information is only shared, without signed consent, with school officials in “need to know” or health and safety circumstances. For more information on FERPA, please click here.

What are some signs that may warrant a referral to case management?

Academic concerns
Marked decline in academic performance, inability to cope with academic pressures, communication that is concerning, missing classes/assignments, continual seeking of special provisions, disorganized or erratic performance

Behavioral concerns
Disruptive behavior, disturbing conduct, verbal or physical harassment, shift in mood that is sudden or significant, concerning use of alcohol and/or other drugs, self-harming behavior, risk-taking behaviors, thoughts or threats of harming others, disorganized speech/non-sensical conversation, emotional/physical outbursts, changes in personal hygiene/sleep/eating

Emotional concerns
Relationship issues, loss of family member or friend, verbal/physical/sexual abuse, depression that seems more than just the blues, thoughts or threats of suicide

How are case management services accessed?

Referring a Student
To refer a student, fill out this form.

Students who are interested in case management services or would like to learn more about it should contact the Office of Student Resources and Support Services at (504) 314-2160 or at to schedule an appointment.

What should I expect if I refer a student for case management?

We will discreetly reach out to the student and determine what type of follow-up is needed. In most cases, we will provide some support services to the student. These may range from connecting a student to on-campus and/or community resources to enrolling the student in case management services. Often times, students welcome the intervention and are thankful that they have others who care about them.

If you are looking for a certain method of support from our office, be sure to include that in your report. While we are not always able to keep the reporting person’s identity confidential, we do
 not show the student identifying information in the submitted report and use a great deal of discretion when 
disclosing specific concerns.

What happens when I submit a report?

When a report is submitted through the online concern report form it is:

  • Received in real time by Student Resources and Support Services (SRSS);;
  • Reviewed to identify the specific concerns reported;
  • Assigned for follow-up:
  • SRSS staff or the Case Manager may consult with reporting person for additional information.
  • The Case Manager meets with student to assess receptivity to assistance and make referrals as appropriate.

It is important to remember that in many situations we will not be able to provide detailed follow-up information to the reporting person. We will share information on a need-to-know basis.

What should I include in my referral or concern report?
  • Include specific details to show why you feel that somebody’s actions are concerning, alarming, threatening, etc.;
  • Body language/postures;
  • Tone and volume of voice;
  • Personal space invasions;
  • Language used;
  • Focus of attention;
  • Method of communication;
  • Problem and conflict resolution;
  • Information about the location, layout, or physical environment that is appropriate;
  • Provide supporting documentation, when available. This can include items such as emails, photographs, audio or video recordings, text messages, social media screen shots, etc.;
  • Document appropriate timelines if this is an on-going issue. When did you first notice the change in behavior? What has happened over time?